NFL Europe

Die Mutter aller Ligen & deren Kaderschmieden
yankee12

NFL Europe

Beitrag von yankee12 »

Wenn professionellen American Football nach Europa zurückgekehrt, wäre es finanziell erfolgreich sein, innerhalb einer angemessenen Höhe der Zeit?

Wenn ich die Gründung eines pan-europäischen Liga, würde dies meine Kriterien:

1) Solid Basis Fan-Basis, mit viel Leidenschaft und Neugier Verständnis des Spiels

2) 12.500- 25.000 Teilnahme innerhalb von 3 Jahren Könnte zwischen

3) Menschenwürdige, geeignete Veranstaltungsort

4) Solid verfügbaren Einkommen in Stadtgebiet

Meine Kandidaten für strategische Franchises:

1) LONDON
2) GLASGOW
3) DUBLIN
4) VIENNA
5) WARSCHAU
6) DÜSSELDORF
7) COLOGNE
8) BRAUNSCHWEIG
9) HANNOVER
10) HAMBURG
11) FRANKFURT
12) LEIPZIG
13) BARCELONA
14) NICE
15) ZURICH
16) BERLIN
17) BIELEFELD
18) DUISBURG
Anderl
Wide Receiver

Re: NFL Europe

Beitrag von Anderl »

yankee12 hat geschrieben:...17) BIELEFELD
Da geht's ja schon los: Bielefeld existiert doch gar nicht! :keule:
...tho I wander through the valley of the shadows of the death, I shall feel no fear...

....'cause I'm the meanest son of a b**** in the whole damn valley!
Exillöwe
Safety

Beitrag von Exillöwe »

yankee12 hat geschrieben:Wenn professionellen American Football nach Europa zurückgekehrt, wäre es finanziell erfolgreich sein, innerhalb einer angemessenen Höhe der Zeit?
Depends on how You define "finacially successfull" and "reasonable amount of time".
yankee12 hat geschrieben:1) Solid Basis Fan-Basis, mit viel Leidenschaft und Neugier Verständnis des Spiels
Shouldn't be a problem, if the players themselves don't change on a yearly base like the NFL-E did it. People rather see players for several seasons, especially when they are foreign players. Fans around here like to identify with their team and it's easier to identify with folks from the neighbourhood instead of mercenaries just coming over for a year, then drifting away again...
yankee12 hat geschrieben:2) 12.500- 25.000 Teilnahme innerhalb von 3 Jahren Könnte zwischen

Could be achievable in some regions, but not in all of those You gave as your candidates.
yankee12 hat geschrieben:3) Menschenwürdige, geeignete Veranstaltungsort
Depends on when the games are supposed to be played.. there's a lot of Fußball (Soccer) around. And it will always have priority I around here..
yankee12 hat geschrieben:4) Solid verfügbaren Einkommen in Stadtgebiet
"Stadtgebiet" is definately wrong here. It's the region that count's.
Example: Braunschweig
There's around 250k people living there. But if You count the region - Braunschweig, Salzgitter, Wolfsburg, Helmstedt and half the way to Hannover - there's more than a million people in the region.

So sometimes it might be good to see if setting up a team for a region might not work better than fixing it to a town.
yankee12 hat geschrieben:Meine Kandidaten für strategische Franchises:

1) LONDON
2) GLASGOW *
3) DUBLIN
4) VIENNA
5) WARSCHAU
6) DÜSSELDORF
7) COLOGNE
8) BRAUNSCHWEIG
9) HANNOVER
10) HAMBURG
11) FRANKFURT
12) LEIPZIG **
13) BARCELONA ***
14) NICE
15) ZURICH
16) BERLIN ****
17) BIELEFELD *****
18) DUISBURG ******
  • * Scotland didn't work for the NFL-E. The Scottish Claymores were one of the first teams to die...
  • ** I'd rather say Dresden. Bigger fanbase there, I'd say..
  • *** Same as Scotland... #1 is Fußball.. add to that, that there isn't really much money around to be spend in Spain nowadays
  • **** Also didn't work that well with the NFL-E, but might work if the concept takes care of Berlin and the Berlin people being a bit... special. No wonder, the GFL Team of Berlin is called Eagles and not Bears - for me Berlin is a bit the german Philly :twisted:
  • ***** Bielefeld? #1 - it doesn't exist. #2 - No Football tradition. #3 not really that much people around to get interested in football. #4 don't know how the financial situation of the region is, but would it be enough to finance a football team? Idk..
  • ****** Has Duisburg any Football tradition? I mean, anything?
If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something - Dick Butkus
Anderl
Wide Receiver

Beitrag von Anderl »

Exillöwe hat geschrieben: [*]****** Has Duisburg any Football tradition? I mean, anything?[/list]
Nichts außer KöPi und Schimi! :mrgreen: :trink: :guru:
...tho I wander through the valley of the shadows of the death, I shall feel no fear...

twolf
Linebacker

Beitrag von twolf »

Rollo ? , XFL-A?
yankee12

Beitrag von yankee12 »

Exillowe,

Duisburg did host the tourney below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_f ... orld_Games

If Germany is to be the cornerstone of such a league, you have to have several major international markets. Therefore, Berlin would have to be given a chance to fail. Munich does not seem to be an appropriate replacement.

As for Barcelona, NFLE attendance declined the last few years, but that's another market that has history and has to have an opportunity.

Regional rivalries is the reasoning behind having 3 teams in the UK. Scotland Claymores disbanded after averaging 9-10,000 fans per game... that's something to build on.

Bielefeld, like Braunschweig, are not huge cities, but are small metro areas. Smaller areas with fewer activities probably have a better chance of drawing larger crowds quicker. Hasn't Braunschwieg been the GFL's leader in attendance for many years ?
Green Bay
DLiner

Beitrag von Green Bay »

Da würde doch eher Schwäbisch Hall als das Green Bay der NFL-E passen oder ;)
Anderl
Wide Receiver

Beitrag von Anderl »

Green Bay hat geschrieben:Da würde doch eher Schwäbisch Hall als das Green Bay der NFL-E passen oder ;)
Nö, zu warm, da wäre Bayerns Eiskeller in Hof besser geeignet! :mrgreen:

Exillöwe
Safety

Beitrag von Exillöwe »

yankee12 hat geschrieben:Exillowe,
Duisburg did host the tourney below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_f ... orld_Games
How many of the people watching that event were from the region? Might have been a few from other parts of germany, who only went there for the games and wouldn't go there to support a Duisburg team, if others closer to their homes would be available.
It's a bit like the NFL thinking that London can support a NFL team because the two games in London now are sold out. Woun't happen on a regular season base with a London team, because many people who go to London now to see the games there are from the continent..
yankee12 hat geschrieben:If Germany is to be the cornerstone of such a league, you have to have several major international markets. Therefore, Berlin would have to be given a chance to fail. Munich does not seem to be an appropriate replacement.
Munich would be a replacement for Duisburg/Bielefeld. More potential, though there's more competition by other sports, too.
yankee12 hat geschrieben:As for Barcelona, NFLE attendance declined the last few years, but that's another market that has history and has to have an opportunity.
Barcelona was one of the worst (or maybe even THE worst) NFL-E markets right from the start. Maybe there would be better chances to put a team to Italy. At least they have a league there already. And there even is a book about American Football in Italy ^^
yankee12 hat geschrieben:Regional rivalries is the reasoning behind having 3 teams in the UK. Scotland Claymores disbanded after averaging 9-10,000 fans per game... that's something to build on.
Three teams in the UK? *cough* Dublin is Republic of Ireland - not United Kingdom ^^
Averaging 9-10.000 fans might be all that can achieved in a region, that is a) solid with soccer and b) financially not very wealthy. Depending on how much a ticket would cost, there might be some interest in an american football team, but not much financial ability to support one.
yankee12 hat geschrieben:Bielefeld, like Braunschweig, are not huge cities, but are small metro areas. Smaller areas with fewer activities probably have a better chance of drawing larger crowds quicker. Hasn't Braunschwieg been the GFL's leader in attendance for many years ?
Braunschweig has the advantage of having the best stadium in the GFL. And although the Lions have a crowd of 5000+ that's not much compared to what the soccer team brought in even in the lower league. Putting another american football team to Braunschweig would lead to many complications, with having only one stadium to play in for those three teams being just the first.

---------------------------------------------

There are quite a few things speaking against a eurpean NFL
  • American Football isn't yet an established product on the market here. Fanbase is there, but small. Too small to support fully professional teams
  • Professional teams would consist of 50+ players and about the same number of support personnel who'd have to be paid. That would need quite a few visitors per game
  • Stadiums don't rent cheap in regions, where there's already Fußball / Soccer as the main sport around.
  • European players aren't on the same playing level as US players. But teams would have to consist of a mix of european and US players, with those from the US playing for their european teams for more than just a season, to really build up a sense of the team "belonging" to the town/region it represents. So finding enough qualified european players might prove difficult.
  • Fans of American Football in europe would compare a professional league with the NFL. If the games of the european teams would be played on a lower - amateurish - level, people wouldn't be ready to pay the amount of money for a ticket which would be needed to finance a team.
A solution might be bringing something like the Arena League to Europe. Advantages would be:
  • no direct comparing with the NFL seen on TV
  • smaller teams - less costs
  • less costs - less need for fan crowds
  • less visitors - easier to find places to play
  • playing in arenas means that the season can be played in winter, evading competition from Fußball / Soccer
  • Arena rules make for a faster, highscoring game, which makes it more interesting for european customers
If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms. - Mike Ditka

When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something - Dick Butkus
Hagen-Roderich
Rookie

Beitrag von Hagen-Roderich »

Anderl hat geschrieben:
Green Bay hat geschrieben:Da würde doch eher Schwäbisch Hall als das Green Bay der NFL-E passen oder ;)
Nö, zu warm, da wäre Bayerns Eiskeller in Hof besser geeignet! :mrgreen:
:up:
yankee12

Beitrag von yankee12 »

yankee12 hat geschrieben:Regional rivalries is the reasoning behind having 3 teams in the UK. Scotland Claymores disbanded after averaging 9-10,000 fans per game... that's something to build on.
[b]Three teams in the UK? *cough* Dublin is Republic of Ireland - not United Kingdom ^^
Averaging 9-10.000 fans might be all that can achieved in a region, that is a) solid with soccer and b) financially not very wealthy. Depending on how much a ticket would cost, there might be some interest in an american football team, but not much financial ability to support one.][/b]

Oops! You are correct, but I think you get the point---regional rivals.

Barcelona was one of the worst (or maybe even THE worst) NFL-E markets right from the start. Maybe there would be better chances to put a team to Italy. At least they have a league there already. And there even is a book about American Football in Italy ^^

Actually, Barcelona got off to a solid start. The Dragons averaged 30,000 fans during their first 2 seasons only to drop to 18,600 and 15,300 in years 3 and 4. By comparison, the Amsterdam Admirals only reached 15,000 once during their existence.

Fans of American Football in europe would compare a professional league with the NFL. If the games of the european teams would be played on a lower - amateurish - level, people wouldn't be ready to pay the amount of money for a ticket which would be needed to finance a team

Americans realize MLS is not as good as most leagues in Europe, South America or Mexico, but appreciate it enough to average 18,600 fans a game

A solution might be bringing something like the Arena League to Europe. Advantages would be:
  • no direct comparing with the NFL seen on TV
  • smaller teams - less costs
  • less costs - less need for fan crowds
  • less visitors - easier to find places to play
  • playing in arenas means that the season can be played in winter, evading competition from Fußball / Soccer
  • Arena rules make for a faster, highscoring game, which makes it more interesting for european customers

I do believe Arena Ball might be viable alternative.

As for team locations, I'll give you Duisburg and go with Dresden ( a good regional rival for Leipzig). I'm not sure about Munich,though. Although there has been a GFL team there for years, is it popular ? The fact that the NFL never put a team or seriously considered a team ( based on what I have read) for Munich says a lot.
Diocletian
Safety

Beitrag von Diocletian »

Irgendwie ist mir nicht ganz klar, was die ganze Diskussion soll......
Wenn ich schon auf der Titanic fahre, dann stelle ich nicht auch noch Hein Blöd ans Steuer.

Niveau sieht von unten aus wie Arroganz
kalefeld1

Beitrag von kalefeld1 »

Du sprchst mir so aus der Seele.

Eine NFL Europe wird es nie nie wieder geben.NIEMAND wird jemals wieder sovel Geld n den Wind blasen.
Trotzdem allen hier einen guten Rutsch ins Jahr 2014 :trink: :trink: :trink:
skao_privat
Defense Coordinator

Beitrag von skao_privat »

Da ist jemand, hat weder von der NFL, noch von Europa eine Ahnung hat, aber die Initialzündung zur umfassenden europäischen Profiliga, die mal eben so von der NFL bezahlt werden soll geben will...
Football 2.0

- Bleib doch mal locker
- Wann werden die GFL Pässe zentral und online ausgestellt?
- Jeder Mensch kann aus eigener Kraft fliegen. Er muß nur seinen Standpunkt verändern!
(skao_privat)
Chicag0
Defensive Back

Beitrag von Chicag0 »

stimmt, das geld sollte die NFL lieber in junge refs stecken, sie richtig ausbilden und dann die alten ersetzen. da haben alle mehr von, als von der zebra-versager-truppe die derzeit aufläuft. :guru:
Antworten